Thursday, October 20, 2011

a confession and correction

Have you ever jumped on a band wagon because all of your friends had jumped on it and just this once you didn't want to stand back and watch as the wagon continued on without you? You know, all of your friends laughing and enjoying the booty of the band wagon while you stand your ground all alone.

I'm not typically a band wagon jumper but once in a while I just don't want to get left out.

That's how I felt with the new NEEDTOBREATH album...everyone was talking about it and raving about it and chair dancing along to it while they were driving down the highway and I felt left out. So I borrowed it. And I decided before I listened to it that I already loved it.

And I made it my pick of the week.

I am feeling sheepish.

Because after having listened to it a lot over the past couple weeks I'm really not so sure that it is my pick of the week, ever. There are good things about the album, musically it is brilliant! There is a lot of texture and different sounds that really work on this album. However, lyrically...I'm not really sure what they are trying to say, in any of the songs. I've listened to them over and over but I just feel...the lyrics are weak.

I'm sorry.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi there doo doo doo...wait, Thanksgiving is over, isn't it? Hehehe. Anyway, I had never heard of this band. They are a Christian band, yes? So, after your post today, I went and read the lyrics, and I agree with you. Lots of the songs just seem hopeless. Of course, this is from someone who has never heard their music at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, like previous albums, if they have them. Just based on reading through some of the songs on this album, I have the same opinion as you.

Also, related to bandwagons, this is why I have never listened to Starfield. But it's because the bandwagon can get annoying and makes me not want to be part of it. Then I get stubborn and decide I dislike whatever the bandwagon is about without ever having listened to it.

This has become a novel. Sorry :)

Joni said...

Yes they are a Christian band and their other albums are SO GOOD! However, I fear they are drifting from their original values...they did tour with Taylor Swift recently after all. I get rather sad when solid Christian bands allow themselves to be drawn into the world.
Starfield I do like, a lot! Their music is solid.
I try to make my own opinions about music and not just follow what everyone else is saying.