Thursday, October 22, 2009

Brad, the frustrated.

Last night at 9:30 my phone rang and like I always do I looked at caller id before I answered it. Because the reality is I can't live without caller id, I like to know who is on the other side of the phone before I say, "Hello?". It showed up as, "Unknown caller" I paused but then I decided to answer it anyway because some of my friends block their cell numbers. It was a telemarketer, or close enough anyway. The voice on the other side of the phone was a pleasant young man named Brad who wanted me to take a survey about the shows I watch on television. But it wasn't a phone survey, oh no, they wanted my mailing information so I could check off little boxes of which shows I watched at what time during the day.

He sounded like a nice enough guy but I didn't want to give him my address. So I kindly told him no but he insisted that it would be a really good idea for me to take this television survey. So I, kindly, insisted that I'm not really a survey taker and even if they did send me the papers I would never fill them out, so why waste a stamp? Then Brad did something I've never heard a telemarketer do. He held the phone a small distance away from his mouth and made a frusterated grunting noise! I found this funny so I laughed and told him I was very sorry and I hoped he had a good night, even though he was probably being rejected many times over. He laughed too and said, "Goodbye, thanks for listening!"

It was a nice conversation, I like Brad.

No comments: