Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gathered Family

We all know what's it's like to have a family. Some of us come from really amazing families where the love is spread around and the good times never end. Some of us come from families where...it's a bit awkward. And unfortunatly some families don't know how to be a family at all.

Then there are our gathered family. What's a gathered family? It's the people in your life that you have no blood relationship to but they feel like your family nonetheless. You make them your family. I've got a very large gathered family, and I love them to pieces!

I'm not super close to my real family, it's always been a little bit awkward for me to fit in with them. I love them, but it's sometimes hard to be a part of them. It's something that I'm working on. That's why I started "gathering" family members a few years ago. It was more a fact that I realized I was closer to these people then my blood relatives. It's not something that I've verbalized to these people in my life but I hope I show it to them through my words and actions. In my gathered family I've got brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, moms, dads, crazy uncles, cousins, a grandpa, a couple grans, I've even got a son and some daughters!

SBBC has played a big part in the gathering of these family members, many of my gathered family are in my life because of the camp. In fact I spent this past weekend with a bunch of them! On Saturday we had our staff appreciation banquet followed with a camp wind-up on Sunday afternoon. Hence my "busy" blog just before this one. It was a great weekend! After the appreciation banquet a group of us (many of them who I consider to be part of my gathered family) stayed together and played 4 on a couch, then we watch old camp movies (home videos?!) and I was so blessed by our time together.

Having a gathered family is one of my favourite things!

No comments: